Sunday 14 March 2010

Torres leaving Liverpool?


It was recently reported that Fernando Torres, the start striker for Liverpool, is considering a switch away from Liverpool in the summer if Liverpool fails to present itself as a serious title and trophy contender through recruitment of top quality players.

Top quality seems to be rather subjective especially in the world of Benitez. After all, he seems to believe that Aquiliani and Glen Johnson are pretty top quality players.

It is getting quite tiring to read about players wanting to leave the club because the club is not a title contender and thus would affect their future. I am not personally in the industry and thus, I suppose players have objectives to play for their country and maybe secure commercial deals? To achieve these goals, players may feel a need to be exposed to high profile competitions, in order to represent top brands and thus allow their agents to negotiate a good deal for all parties.

I can't help but think about all those inspirational movies revolving around sports. Movies such as "Cool Runnings", "The Mighty Ducks", "The Titans" and many more. These movies are usually based on a true story, depicting how "heart" can change things in a game, how passion and effort means more than just talent. It seems that in reality, talent, hard work and passion do exist but in a different manner. Talented players seek higher grounds, players work hard towards transferring to a better club, players are filled with passion for a club who serve them well, i.e. win win situation. I know I'm making a lot of generalisation here but reality seems to be so.

What might make a good movie would be a story about Portsmouth, if they manage to stay up in the Premiership despite all the odds against them. Maybe they can instill some fantasy back into my world, back into the world.



Torres did say these though:
"It's too soon to talk, I honestly think that we're going to be fourth, but for me Champions League qualification isn't so important."

"I've left my home and it's clear that I owe Liverpool many things, and I'm very happy here. The fans have treated my like one of their own, but I'm going to think about my future and hopefully it will be here. I think these fans deserve to win."

"Beyond thinking about me, I think the club deserve to get back to winning (trophies), but they know themselves that right now that it's far off."


I'll be keeping my hopes up, believing in passion, talent and hard work. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. It doesn't hurt to dream a little, sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment