Thursday 21 October 2010

Is there no more hope in football?

I hate to rattle off on this Wayne Rooney saga. Its frustrating to watch my club going into disarray with all these media attention.

And as I read the comments made by Rooney about his decision to leave, I was left chuckling to myself. This was the hero of Man Utd last season, the boy who could do no wrong, the player who carried the hopes of England and Man Utd. And here he was, issuing a statement about the club lacking ambition.

This is the era of zero respect. Sir Alex is right, there is no more player loyalty, there is no such thing as family. Players and manager can no longer exist as family. There is no room for team first, me second. There is no belief system in a club with proud traditions and a manager with a proven track record. All that matters is money, and how much more one can get. All that matter is me, and what I want to achieve.

Notice how Wayne deflects his own part in the whole saga by claiming that it has nothing to do with money, but the lack of ambition at the club. He has turned from hero to zero in my opinion. Leave all you want, but don't leave a scathing remark behind as if the rest of the players will never match your 'lofty' standards. Leave and don't stab the rest of your family in the backs just because you want to go.

Wayne Rooney will never learn from this till it is too late. He will never find a place quite like Man Utd again. His departure reeks of selfish ambition, poor judgement and ungentlemanly behavior.

Consumerism has taken over the minds of many including young players. Just because the money is there, does not mean a club has to buy to be 'ambitious'. The last time I checked, football was a team game.

In the words of TST, turn your expectations into inspiration and stop whining about everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment