Saturday 9 May 2009

Why the heck is Shebby Singh a football pundit?


Heres an entry that will perhaps create some controversy. But I just needed to find out if anyone felt the same way as me. If you are half as mad as me about soccer and the BPL, you would have watched anything related to soccer. One of the shows that constantly pops up on ESPN on Starhub is this show called Football Focus with John Dykes whereby 4 football pundits sit in a panel to discuss football with the moderator and anchor John Dykes. Usually it includes ex-Liverpool star Steve McMahon, this old guy called Jamie Reeves, Paul Masefield who used to play for S-League outfit Balestier Khalsa and the very odd one out, Shebby Singh.

I mean seriously, have you heard some of the comments made by Shebby Singh? He cracks me up !! Sometimes he talks in circular arguments, at other times he sounds like he's agreeing with everything John Dykes says, "yes John, I agree with you..." or "Absolutely John..." but most of the time, his comments make no cow sense. I wonder how he got himself on the panel... at least the others had some time playing in the top flight in England while John Dykes is a highly respectable media figure in sports and soccer. Perhaps ESPN just needed an Asian face on the "angmoh" panel since its audience is mostly Asian.

I wonder why no one has considered bringing other pundits onto the show, someone like Ernest Luis from The New Paper has impressed me with his insights while the funnyman Neil Humphreys will add great insights away from the drudgery of football tactics... heck even someone who doesn't know nuts about soccer tactics like Nokia Football Crazy's presenter Jamie Yeo will be of better entertainment value than plain'ol Shebby Singh...

If I have my way... Shebby Singh will be long gone. But then again, many viewers will miss his classic line "yes John, I think so too..."

No comments:

Post a Comment